Main Site Lindau (ZH)

The main site at Lindau is the heart of AgroVet-Strickhof.

Photos of Lindau

Photos taken using a drone on 27. August 2017 by Thomas Widmer, post production by Malgorzata Sitnik.

Information

The main site at Lindau is the heart of AgroVet-Strickhof. This cantonal competence centre for education and services in agriculture and animal nutrition at Strickhof (website in German) is located in proximity to the ETH Research Station for Plant Sciences. Between 2015 and 2017 a series of new buildings have been constructed:

  • Dairy barn
  • Metabolic Centre
  • Youngstock barn; from May 2018
  • Office and Laboratory Building
  • Forum
  • Dry feed storage

>> Information about the infrastructure

The new buildings will gradually become operational throughout 2017 and fall 2018.

190219 Agrovet Strickhof Lindau Uebersicht Neubauten

Video about the main site of AgroVet-Strickhof in Lindau

Filmed using a drone on 13.08.2017

Photos of the Lindau area before construction for AgroVet-Strickhof began

Milestones for the Lindau Site

  • 1387: First mention of the field name «am Strick» and the house name «Strickhof» of the farmer property at Strickhofstrasse 39, later the Strickhof site at Irchel in Zurich.  
  • 1818-1829: First agricultural school for the poor at Bläsihof, Winterberg, Lindau municipality.
  • 1853: Founding of the agricultural school and setup of operations at Strickhof at todays «Irchel Site in Zurich».
  • 1894: Naming of the street «Strickhofstrasse» in Zurich
  • 1972: Setup of the ETH Zurich Research Station for Plant Sciences in Lindau Eschikon
  • 1976: Acquistion of Strickhof at the new site in Eschikon Lindau
  • 1998: Concentration of Zurich's agricultural schools in Lindau
  • 2010: Renovation of the greenhouses of the Research Station for Plant Sciences
  • 2017: Opening of AgroVet-Strickhof, the cooperation for education and research

History of the Lindau Site

The agricultural school Strickhof and its predecessors have a long history. The Bläsihof in Winterberg began in 1818 with eight boarding pupils. The driving force behind the Bläsihof and its creation was Hans Konrad Escher von der Linth (1767–1823), president of the supervisory board. After his death he received the honorary title «von der Linth» in remembrance of his lifetime achievement of improving the flow of the Linth river and its surrounding land. The Bläsihof school closed in 1926.

On 3. May 1853 the first arable farming school was opened at Strickhof in Zurich. The schoolstarted with 14 farmers' sons: 12 from Zurich and 2 from Bern. From 1897 courses were also offered in Winter. 

The Irchel area of the University of Zurich was later developed at this site. Before the Strickhof functioned there the farming property belonged to the former hospital. From 1852 to 1976 the Strickhof in Oberstrass was home to the agricultural school of the Kanton of Zurich (see photo). 

In 1967 the Kanton was given the opportunity to buy the former factory site of Nestlé in Lindau to build a new school. In 1970 the Zurich electorate supported the agricultural school's moving plans with a clear 70% voting yes in the referendum. In 1973 the foundations were laid in Lindau for the «green university» and its opening was celebrated on 3. September 1976.

Photos of the original location of Strickhof at Strickhofstrasse in Zurich

Development of agricultural schools in the 19th century

The need for academic education of farmers began at the end of the 18th century as a result of physiocracy and the scientification of agriculture, leading to the first agricultural schools in Switzerland in the 19th century. Some were full time schools such as Strickhof (Zurich, 1853), Rütti (Zollikofen municipality, BE, 1860), Cernier, NE (1885) and Grangeneuve, FR (Posieux, 1922). Most of them only offered winter courses from November to March. Some were specialised in certain areas such as dairy or alpine farming, horticulture or viticulture. All schools oriented their teaching towards the needs of typical small and medium sized Swiss farms. The syllabus covered general education (mother tongue, maths, history), sciences (botany, zoology, chemistry) and technical and occupational subjects (breeding, fruit-growing, horticulture, viticulture, agricultural legislation and economics, and bookkeeping). The education lasted for at least two semesters. The students of these cantonal schools (often with boarding option) had already completed obligatory schooling and had already gained some experience on the family farm. In 1890 there were 6 agricultural schools in Switzerland (218 students), in 1913 20 schools (1329 students) and in 1960 40 schools (3229 students).

The main site Lindau, north of Effretikon

AgroVet-Strickhof
Betriebsstandort Lindau
Eschikon 27
8315 Lindau

Contact Head of Research and Team

Start of construction on Früebüel in July 2018

After the building application was approved end of 2017 the construction work will start in July 2018.

Further Informationen

Flight by Parglider above Früebüel on 20th April 2018.

Joël Bérard's flight above the site Früebüel on 20th April 2018.

See photos