The «Früebüel» site has been run by the ETH Zurich as a research station since 1989. The site is located on the Walchwiler mountain in the Kanton of Zug at 1000 metres above sea level. The site has a total surface area of 61.9 hectares, of which 9.7 hectares are a nature reserve, 39.5 hectares of forage and 8.2 hectares of forest.
The site is currently primarily used for research with cattle and suckler cows to determine the basic requirements for ecological and efficient livestock farming in grassland areas. It is an optimal location for the breeding of experimental animals under comparable and controlled conditions. As this special location finds itself in an ecologically interesting landscape which is structured on a small scale, it offers the possibility to conduct other research work in areas such as landscape ecology and sustainability.
There are barns which house sheep before and after the alpine farming season. Furthermore there are buildings to house small suckler cows and their offspring and for questions relating to research with cattle.
An enclosure for wild animals (fallow) of 6 hectares is being created, including a winter and summer shelter. Other special animals such as exotic cattle breeds, yaks and camelids can be kept in the enclosure for research purposes. Besides barns, there are also living quarters, offices and simple laboratories available for employees and researchers.
The facilities at Früebüel allow research into breeding cattle and suckler cows kept in groups both inside and on the pasture. Due to its altitude, the site is ideal for approaching questions related to mountain farms and the foothills of the alps. The enclosure for wild animals allows research into fallow, and is the only of its kind in Switzerland.
Flight by paraglider above Früebüel on 20.04.2018
New perspective on the AgroVet-Strickhof site Früebüel | Flight by paraglider and photos by Joël Bérard
- 1943: Acquisition of the site by the Swiss Confederation to use it as a military prison
- 1989: Hand over of Früebüel to the ETH Zurich for research purposes
- 2005: Implementation of measuring station for grassland sciences
- 2014: Connection to the high performance network
- 2017: Take over of operational management by Strickhof as part the AgroVet-Strickhof cooperation
- 2017: November: Building license for facilities for fallow, breeding cattle, suckling cows and sheeps.
>> see project
- 2020: Completion of the building project (>> see Handing over the keys at Früebüel)
Früebüel Site (Walchwil ZG)
Früebüel is located on the Zugerberg mountain:
Agrovet-Strickhof Früebüel Site, Building FVG, Früebüel 4, 6318 Walchwil (ZG)
Phone: +41 58 105 90 12